Young Authors' Faire offers budding writers in grades K-8 an opportunity to have their books read by others. The books, written by students, are on display for the entire week, while visitors are invited to read and comment on them.
This event always has a great response from the community because of the hard work the students put into creating original stories and books. An evening reception will be held so that the public can meet the young authors and help them celebrate in their success.
How Do I Get Involved Next Year?
- Encourage your students to create and submit their work.
- Invite other administrators, teachers and parents to stop by the TCOE Administration and Conference Center during the week of the Faire to read and comment on the books submitted by students from throughout Tulare County. Your written comments are a much anticipated and appreciated part of this event for our young writers.
- Attend the Young Authors’ Faire Reception on Wednesday evening with your students and their families. You can also encourage your student(s) to volunteer to read their books aloud at the reception.
- Young Authors' Faire is open to all Kindergarten – 8th grade students in Tulare County. The Young Authors’ Faire is for recognition, not competition.
- Students may write narrative or expository texts.
- Students are to create and organize the story idea, write and edit the book, and illustrate and create the book.
- Students can use one of the approved platforms to create an e-book.
- Adults may only act as a recorder, or typist for children who are too young to do these things themselves.
- Books may be written by one student, a small group of students working together, or an entire class of students.
- Books may be written in any language or combination of languages.
- Books can be any size, shape, or color.
- Books can be made from a variety of materials.
- Although we never judge a book by its cover, it has been our experience over the years that those publications that are visually appealing get picked up, read and commented on more frequently than others.
- Hard copy books must be boxed and sent to:
Educational Resource Services
Attn: Paula Terrill
7000 Doe Avenue, Suite A
Visalia, CA 93291
- Electronic books have the same due date and should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or shared with email@example.com (Google).
- When the books are processed in our office, we will add the official YAF Comment Sheet to the back cover. Please be sure to leave this space empty so the Comment Sheet does not cover any of the author’s work.
- Each entrant will receive a certificate for participating in the “Young Authors’ Faire.” If a book was authored by a group/class, please indicate each student’s name on the Master List so that we may correctly fill out a certificate for each student. Students who read their books aloud at the reception get a special “Featured Reader” stamp on their certificates.
- Each book will receive a Gold Embossed Seal which will be affixed to the book designating it as a Young Authors’ Faire book. All books will be returned to the contact person listed on the Master List upon completion of the Young Authors’ Faire.