FOUNDATIONS FOR LIFE ESSAY CONTEST
Foundations for Life is a quotation-based program that promotes reading, critical thinking, and writing skills while simultaneously introducing or reinforcing character education.
Foundations for Life is adapted from the Laws of Life Essay Contest established by the John Templeton Foundation and is endorsed by:
Foundations for Life has many benefits for students and teachers. The program:
- engages students intellectually and emotionally
- integrates easily into existing curricula and activities
- provides excellent practice for state testing and SAT or ACT exams
- advances NCLB standards-based goals
- offers prestigious county-wide recognition and cash prizes for winning essays
|Contest Prompt: |
Reflect – Choose a maxim* (quotation) that you find meaningful and reflect on how that maxim applies to your life and/or the world around you.
Express – Write an essay that demonstrates an understanding of the underlying wisdom of the quotation.
Commit – Integrate the maxim’s message and the insight derived from it into a long-term life strategy that reinforces good character.